John “Ceiriog” Hughes, a famous Welsh poet, took his bardic name from the valley and won in the National Eisteddfod in 1858 when he was 26 years old. There is a memorial stone on the roadside outside his home which is just outside the village and up the hill on the road from Glyn Ceiriog to Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog.
Glyn Ceiriog is an excellent rambling area and there are many leaflets available detailing the routes. There are two trout farms along the valley and fishing in lakes and rivers is available. Slate and flannel were once the industries. A steam tramway used to travel between the quarries in the valley and the main line railway in Chirk. Photos and more information can be had in the Glyn Valley Hotel and there is a very interesting museum in the Ceiriog Memorial Institute which also remembers literary notaries Cynddelw, Huw Morus and Ceiriog.
Castle Mill was the nominated mill for the tenants of Chirk Castle in the old days and a long-term lucrative business for the estate owner. This was virtually the end of the road from Chirk to Glyn Ceiriog. The valley, in those days, was heavily wooded and the narrow lane on the South side of the Ceiriog Valley was the only decent route until the steam tramway was built in 1873, it passed just outside Castle Mill on its way to Chirk. Considering how important this small place used to be it’s surprising to see little evidence of the olden days hustle and bustle.
< Chirk / Page 2 of 2
Please note that all Dee Valley Tourist Guide text, photos, maps and drawings are the copyright and property of A5 Multimedia Ltd © 2013. All images have been digitally watermarked to facilitate image tracking. Prior permission must be obtained to reproduce any part of this online publication by any means. © A5 Multimedia Ltd. 2013.